Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter dessert

This year I volunteered to bring dessert to Easter dinner.  I searched my Easter board and decided to make brownies in egg shells and caramel sauce.  I also made my favorite fudge sauce from Real Simple (I added the pin to pinterest) and "egg" ice cream (I need to add this pin!).

The brownie eggs:
I followed the directions I found in the pin. First - you blow out the eggs.  (I found 1 brownie mix makes about 20 eggs). Then take some oil (olive or vegetable) and pour it into each egg and swirl it around to coat the inside of the shell. Pour out the excess oil.  Then make the brownie mix (or what ever recipe from scratch you prefer).


I found the best way to fill the brownies is to use a Wilton squeeze bottle.  I needed to cut the top down on mine because the brownie mix I used had mini chocolate chips in it.  

I filled the eggs 1/2 way.  I found out the hard way if you over fill the eggs, the brownie will ooze out of the shell.  No fun.  It took the brownies between 20-25 minutes to cook.  I found placing them in a muffin tin was an easy way to bake them and if anything did ooze out, the excess was caught in the muffin tin, not the bottom of my oven!  

Here they are finished.  I tried scraping off as much of the excess as I could, but couldn't get them as clean as the photo in the pin.  But it was still really fun to see my family crack open their dessert and enjoy their brownies!  More of how I tied everything together at the end of this post.  

The caramel sauce:
This actually worked!  Submerge a can of sweetened condense milk in water in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.  Remove from the can, open, and store the caramel in a glass container in the fridge until you are ready to use.  I reccomend when it is time to use the caramel to put the glass jar in a pot of simering water for about 15 mintues to heat up the sauce.  Be sure to remove the lid so you don't get any extra condensation.  This caramel sauce was delicious!!!  I still can't beleive how easy it was to make!

Real Simple Fudge Sauce:
I started making this years ago after seeing it in Real Simple magazine.  It truly is such an easy fudge sauce and so easy to make.  I especially love it with ice cream and cheese cake.

1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbls corn syrup
1 - 12oz bag chocolate chips
1 Tbls vanilla extract

Bring the cream and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat.  Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips.  Once completely melted, add the vanilla.  Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.  Will keep for up to a month.

Ice Cream "eggs":
I decided to make dessert into a brownie sundae.  And since it is Easter I couldn't resist the thought of having ice cream shaped like eggs.  I cleaned large plastic eggs with soap and water.  While doing this I let the ice cream soften at room temperature for about 10 minutes.  I then filled each half of an egg and put the halves together.  I then froze the eggs until we were ready to serve.
A couple tips:
Freeze for at least 24 hours
Make sure the egg halves are not connected.  For some reason, the ice cream came out easier and in a better egg shape with the separated eggs.
1.5 pint container of ice cream filled 11 large eggs.

Here is a picture of everything together:




Here are the original pins:
Egg brownies:

Caramel Sauce:

Real Simple Fudge Sauce:

No comments:

Post a Comment