Monday, April 2, 2012

Brownies in an egg/mini egg brownies

I had a brownie mix and a few extra minutes so I decided to try two pins using brownies and Easter.

My brother of all people sent me a link to a web site a few months back with a recipe to bake brownies inside an egg shell. I'm always up for a fun challenge like that. I filed the website away (this was before Pinterest) and forgot about it. Last week, I saw a pin with the recipe. I had to try it. I'm bringing dessert to Easter on Sunday but didn't want to try this Saturday and have it flop.

I blew out an egg and rinsed it out. I then added a little olive oil and shook it around to coat the inside of the egg. Then I poured out the excess oil. I then filled the egg with the pre made brownie mix (I like either the giradelli mix or the one with the pouch of real Hershey syrup). I filled the egg 3/4 of the way full. Turned out it was too much. Next time I will only fill it 1/2 way. I didn't realize how much brownies expand while baking. I baked the egg, on its side in a glass bowl, for 20 minutes. I ended up baking it for a total of 25 minutes. My daughter was so excited to try it. She was nice enough to volunteer to crack it open and eat the brownie for her dessert!

I am a mini egg junkie. Thank goodness they are only available a couple months a year! When I saw a pin using mini eggs, I had to try it.

Mini egg brownies

1 box brownie mix, made as directed (or a from scratch recipe)
1 bag mini eggs

Pour brownie mix into pan as directed on box or recipe. Pour mini eggs over batter. Bake as directed.

The mini eggs end up baking into the batter and get sort of absorbed into the brownies. They tasted really good, but to be honest, I don't know if I will make this again. I couldn't taste the distinctness of the mini eggs that I love so much. But this gives me some ideas. I'm thinking of trying this with the caramel bits they sell in the chocolate chip isle and with the new mini peanut butter cups. I'll keep the blog posted when I try that and add my own original pin!

Original egg brownie pin:


Original mini egg brownie pin:



No comments:

Post a Comment