Sunday, March 31, 2013

Layered jell-o

I volunteered to make a jell-o salad this year.  I found the pin below and thought it looked good.  Who doesn't like sweet condensed milk!  It was easy enough to make.  But I thought it was a little odd to be adding an extra packet of gelatin to the colored layers. I was right, the jell-o was very chewy.  The only thing I can think of is it is needed if you are going to cut out shapes out of the jell-o.  I left mine in a glass 13"x9" dish and served it out of there.  And I covered mine in cool whip.  Overall I liked the flavor of the layers.  Next time I'll not add the extra packet of gelatine and see what happens.  And I couldn't tell what size jell-o box was used.  I started with the 3 oz size and quickly realized I needed to double the amount.  Next time, I'll buy the large packets of jell-o!

And I had some trouble with the white layer.  When you make it, it makes 3 cups.  You only need 1 cup at a time.  So by the time I got to needing the last cup, it had started to set and was chunky.  So I made another batch of the white layer and ended up throwing out 2 cups of it.  I don't know what else to do and how to stop the mixture from starting to set.  

I forgot to take a picture, but wanted to remember what I did if I need to make a jell-o dish again.

For each (I did 3) colored layer:
1 large box jell-o
2 cups hot water
1 packet knorr gelatin (I will not use this next time)

Mix together until smooth.  Pour into a sprayed 13"x 9" glass pan

For the white layer: (makes enough for 3 layers)
1 can sweeten condense milk
3 packets knorr geltin
2 cups hot water

Mix until smooth.  Pour over colored layer.  It helps if you pour the mixture onto a spoon held close to the colored layer as to not cause a hole in the jell-o layer by pouring directly.

Let each layer set completely before adding the next layer.  If not - your jell-o will turn brown.


Original pin:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment